The construction practices of the old days have left a lot of areas filled with asbestos. People back then didn’t really do as much research into materials before they used them like they do today. Products these days are tested repeatedly before they ever get to the market, and if they aren’t safe for usage on humans, then they are sent back or shelved. I was unaware that in the attic of my home was asbestos. I called a special company to do asbestos disposal in Sydney, because if I tried to do it myself, I would have put my own life in danger.
Asbestos fibers are so small that they can easily be breathed in without anyone noticing. Working around it without any protection, even to remove it, can result in lung damage that can also cause cancer. I don’t know of anyone who has been affected by asbestos, but I’m sure there are many people out there who have, and they didn’t even know it was happening until it was too late. That’s why the newscasters always recommend that everyone get their home tested for asbestos once if they haven’t already, because they may be living with a silent killer.
The company came to my home decked out in protective gear. It was as if they were coming to deal with a nuclear substance that had been leaking in the attic. They also had a large vacuum that they used to suck up the asbestos. Given that the asbestos fibers float around in the air, a high powered vacuum is needed to catch every bit that may slip away when it is collected. The vacuum compresses the fibers into a pile inside of its containment canister. Once all of the asbestos was removed, newer insulation was added in its place.